22 Jul 2012

Bon Iver's top songs before the show


Countdown is on.

Next Twesday I'll be watching Bon Iver live for the first time and I couldn't be more excited. I've been getting ready for the show by going through the project's discography.

Here is a top of my favourite Bon Iver songs, though it's nearly impossible to like some more than others.

#5 - 'Stacks'
Justin Vernon described 'Stacks' as his most personal song, saying that the lyrics marked a turn in his musical path. The track belongs to For Emma, Forever Ago, the debut album of Bon Iver.



#4 - 'Towers'
When I first heard Bon Iver, Bon Iver, the second album, I thought it sounded quite different from Emma. The songs had more instruments in it, they sounded fuller. I guess they weren't as simple and plain as the first record's tracks. Then I started to listen to them more and more and it made sense - Bon Iver grew from the first album to this one and the sound followed that evolution. 'Towers' is absolutely beautiful and it has a matching video.



#3 - 'Holocene'
This song won two Grammys this year but Justin Vernon doesn't care much about that. Fame, recognition and awards mean little to the Wisconsin musician. He cares about people listening to the songs, sending messages through the lyrics, producing good music and doing is thing.



#2 - 'Flume'
I think 'Flume' was one of the first things I've ever heard of Bon Iver. I remember going through the lyrics to fully understand the song. I learnt that Bon Iver songs are to be felt, not understood word by word.



#1 - 'Skinny Love'
"And I told you to be patient/ And I told you to be fine/
And I told you to be balanced/ And I told you to be kind"

--

Já estou em preparação para ver Bon Iver, pela primeira vez, ao vivo. É na próxima terça-feira e parece que o tempo nunca mais passa.

Para encurtar a espera, tenho andado a rever a discografia do projecto. Por isso, aqui fica um top de músicas preferidas de Bon Iver, embora seja praticamente impossível pôr umas acima das outras.

#5 - 'Stacks'
O Justin Vernon descreveu 'Stacks' como a sua música mais pessoal, dado que a letra marca uma viragem no seu percurso musical e na sua vida. A faixa está incluída no álbum de estreia, For Emma, Forever Ago.

#4 - 'Towers'
Quando ouvi pela primeira vez o segundo álbum - expectativas lá em cima - soou-me a algo estranho, diferente do Emma. As músicas eram mais cheias de instrumentos, menos simples, nuas e directas. Mas depois fez sentidoo. Bon Iver foi crescendo como acontecimento e isso permitiu à sua música acompanhar essa evolução. 'Towers' é simplesmente linda e tem um vídeo que não lhe fica atrás.

#3 - 'Holocene'
Esta música venceu dois prémios Grammy. Mas a fama, o reconhecimento e os prémios não interessam muito a Justin Vernon. O músico do Wisconsin preocupa-se mais em mostrar a sua música às pessoas, em transmitir-lhes as suas mensagens e em fazer boa música, à sua maneira.

#2 - 'Flume'
Acho que 'Flume' deve ter sido das primeiras coisas que ouvi de Bon Iver. Lembro-me que olhar para a letra com atenção para compreender todo o seu significado. Aprendi que a música de Bon Iver é para ser sentida, não interpretada.

#1 - 'Skinny Love'
"And I told you to be patient/ And I told you to be fine/
And I told you to be balanced/ And I told you to be kind"